Here are a few questions that might help you determine if you are an enabling parent.
- Have you loaned him money repeatedly, seldom (if ever) being repaid?
- Have you paid bills he was supposed to have paid himself?
- Have you accepted part of the blame for his addictions or behavior?
- Have you avoided talking about negative issues because you feared his response?
- Have you begun to worry that the financial burden is more than you can bear?
- Have you given him "one more chance" and then another and another?
- Have you wondered how he gets money to buy cigarettes, video games, new clothes, smart phones and such but can't afford to pay his own bills?
What to do?
We can pray for the power to change ourselves.
We can help (not enable) adult children of any age develop wings to fly on their own.
We can find comfort in knowing we are not alone on this journey.
We can take back our life!